Monday, March 28, 2005

Paradise revisited

What an amazing day I had yesterday. At 10:20 I hopped on the train for a journey into the magnificent windy city. I brought enough reading material to last me til I arrived. Between reading and conversing with my beautiful, kind, and precious daughter, Marissa, via cellphone, the trip into Union Station seemed so brief! I sprinted toward the north stairs up to Adams and continued past Michigan Avenue and the Art Institute. I considered stopping in and perusing the visual treats at the Institute, but I really wanted to achieve my goal of walking the lakefront, so I decided I'd save that for another day. After marveling once again at Millenium Park, from the South side this time, I headed to the Lake. It was magical. Sometimes I wonder if God is waiting in Nature with special treats doled only to me. The seagulls, even though I realize they're scavengers, are so beautiful. They heralded my arrival by filling the heavens with their melodious tones. Then, as I headed North, I was enraptured by the beautiful sight of a ship pushing forward to the sea, underscored by the stillness of the pier.
As I rounded the Columbia Yacht club, two Canadian geese flew towards me, about 3 feet over my head, about 3 feet apart, and then ascended away from each other and me. Wow !!!!!
After adventuring for about 3 or 4 miles, I headed back towards Union Station via Columbia and Michigan Avenue. I hope not to bore you by enumerating the many buildings that I stood in awe before, but this is also my journal, and will be used by me, to recall the times of my life. First I admired the NBC building and then traversed through the West courtyard to the University of Chicago Graduate Studies Building. Fun! Then I walked along the river towards the Tribune and Wrigley building. Oh so beautiful!! The minds that God created that can fashion such interpretation. Combined, they are breathtaking from every angle. Every detail seems to have been carved with the knowledge that someone far below would stand and behold its beauty. From the avenue inversion I caught a glimpse of the Carbide and Carbon Building. As I approached the Chicago River Bridge I was mesmerized by the stunning golden towers atop it as it sang to me in the brilliant sunshine. The embellishments that separate one window from the next are just one of its many distinctive features. Further along, the Smurfit Stone building is just so cool. I've loved that building ever since it was featured in "Adventures in Babysitting". Its shape is so unique. Then it was the Chicago Athletic Association building. Very cool adornments.
It was a wonderful day, and then I topped it off my making tilapia fish tacos, with red cabbage, AND red peppers, and a mild chipotle sauce. They were SOOOOO delicious! I used a little more paprika and a little more lemon. Yummy! Then I raked the yard and washed the front of my house and porch. Spring is here!! Yippee!!
May your week be divine, and may your eyes be open wide to this wonderful world!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home